Support for staff and students

There is a range of support offered for Ukrainian nationals, including dedicated financial and visa support.

Immigration support

Ukrainian citizens in need of free legal advice on UK immigration, visas and asylum from qualified and regulated lawyers can contact Ukraine Advice Project UK: Free UK immigration advice for Ukrainians
Temporary visa concessions have been introduced for family members of Ukrainian nationals, and British nationals who usually live in Ukraine: Temporary visa concessions
Information on concessions to immigration rules for Ukrainian nationals on work and study routes can be found on the UK Government website: Temporary visa concessions for Ukrainian nationals on work and study routes
UK Government travel advice: Foreign travel advice - Ukraine

Financial support

Students from Ukraine or Russia who are impacted financially may apply for hardship funding. Applications will be prioritised for assessment and payment and will recognise any difficulties you may have in providing the required documentation. Please note that funding can only be paid into a UK bank account. 

Hardship funding 

Scottish Government support for tuition and living costs

The Scottish Government has announced that new and transfer students displaced from Ukraine and settling in Scotland may be eligible for free tuition and living cost support if they have already applied for one of the following:

  • Home for Ukraine Scheme
  • Ukraine Family Scheme
  • Ukraine Extension Scheme

Undergraduate applicants

Any Ukrainian national domiciled in Scotland will be eligible to apply for Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) funding:

If you are resident in the rest of the UK (England, Wales, Northern Ireland) you can contact our Student Finance team for advice:

Postgraduate applicants

Any Ukrainian national who meets the new eligibility conditions will be eligible for the existing postgraduate package from Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS):

If you are resident in the rest of the UK (England, Wales, Northern Ireland) you can contact our Student Finance team for advice:

Sanctuary Scholarships

Doctoral students whose research studies have been affected by conflict can apply for further academic training via our Sanctuary Scholarships.

The University Chaplaincy

The Chaplaincy offers support to staff and students who have been affected by recent global events. The Listening Service at the Chaplaincy is currently operating 24/7  for staff and students who need someone to talk to about their concerns or anxieties.

Support for students

If you find you are in need of financial support, for example if your access to living costs has been impacted by a global disaster, please visit our Scholarships and Student Funding webpage for more information.

If you are struggling to pay your tuition as a result of a global disaster, including loss of access to currency or sources of tuition fee support, please get in touch with staff through our Finance Helpline. There are a number of ways you can contact them.

If you are a sponsored student and you are making any changes to your degree programme as a result of a global disaster, for example needing to take an Authorised Interruption of Study or being unable to return to the United Kingdom, please contact your Student Adviser and our Immigration Advisers in the Student Immigration Service to receive individual immigration support.

If you are experiencing issues with attending classes and submitting assessments, please talk to your Student Adviser who can support you with making applications for coursework extensions and special circumstances via the Extensions and Special Circumstances Service.

Student Wellbeing Services

The Wellbeing Service offers a variety of health and wellbeing support and services for students.

Emergency student support contacts

For urgent help requests.

Wardens and the ResLife team

Students who live in University accommodation can also seek support from their Resident Assistant, Warden or ResLife team.

Report + Support

Our platform for reporting harassment, bullying, and discrimination. All University of Edinburgh students can report anonymously, or with their contact details.

Support for staff

Staff Health and Wellbeing Hub

The Hub brings together the variety of health and wellbeing support and services available to staff including how to access help in a crisis.